How to set a PDF password
The PDF24 Creator is a free PDF creator & PDF printer for creating PDF files. Password protection is one of the features of the software. You can password protect a PDF file to prevent it from being opened and you can password protect a PDF file to set security settings and to prevent printing or copying of text and images.Here's how it works:
- Download, install and open the PDF24 Creator
- Load your PDF file by dragging & dropping the file into the right window pane. Now you can see a preview of the file. You can drop any file, not only PDF files.
- Click the Save As icon in the toolbar to open the Save As dialog
- Select the PDF output filter and open the security page.
- Mark the check box to use the security settings and enter your passwords
- Click “Next” and then select the file where you want to save the new password protected PDF file.
Differences between the owner and user PDF password
You can set two passwords in the security page. That's the file owner password which is required to protect the file and additionally you can set the user password which is required to open the password.
Keep in mind that the owner has full access to the file, so it is often a good idea to choose different passwords. If both passwords are the same and somebody opens the PDF file with that password, then the opener automatically has full access to the file because he opened the file as the owner. If you want to prevent printing, and set a password to open the file, then you have to choose a different password.
Set PDF password online
PDF24 also offers you a free online tool with which you can protect your PDF with a password. All you have to do is select your PDF and password and the online PDF tool will do the rest. You do not need to install any software and this alternative is also free of charge. Just have a look at the tool.
Remove PDF password online
PDF24 also offers you a free online tool with which you can remove a PDF password. All you have to do is select your PDF and password and the online PDF tool will do the rest. Again, you do not need to install any software.